The new Bridgepoint Hospital will be a 10-storey, 680,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility with 472 beds, and will include the Christine Sinclair Ambulatory Care Centre.
The new facility will relieve the congestion of the current, aging building and provide an improved patient experience for generations to come. The new hospital will include:
- Larger rooms, with modern technologies;
- A washroom in each patient room for enhanced infection prevention and control;
- More natural light and spectacular views of the city;
- Increased ambulatory care space for outpatient/community programming;
- Double the existing therapy space, including a state-of-the-art therapy area on each floor for easy access;
- An in-ground therapy pool that is triple the size of the existing above-ground pool;
- Double the number of patient lounges;
- More room for specialized wheelchairs, making it possible for patients to regain their independence in their own space;
- Bright, open dining rooms and common areas for visiting and recreational activities; and
- New areas open to the public, including a cafeteria, auditorium, retail shops, library, internet café, rooftop garden and labyrinth terrace.
A broad landscaped avenue leads to the main entrance, which offers a welcoming and accessible front door to the community. It has been designed like a court that connects Broadview Avenue to the hospital’s ground floor. Patients and visitors can gather in the court to socialize and observe the ongoing activity around the entrance. The court provides barrier-free access to the rotunda in the historic Don Jail, Riverdale Park, and terrace at the north end. The north face of the Don Jail building is exposed and can be admired from the main entrance.
The main entrance area features a large canopy and special surface treatment to signal a pedestrian priority area while providing a turn-around for pick-up and drop-off. The entry hall will be an open, animated public space incorporating Bridgepoint's historic mosaic.
Access to building services, the cafeteria, the auditorium and spectacular outdoor terraces are provided in this area. These semi-public uses will draw in the broader community. The public cafeteria and café overlook the Don Valley and provide stunning views of the cityscape. Inside the concourse level, elevators and a cascading stairway connect to the public spaces on the ground floor.