The Joint Bridgepoint Health-West Park Healthcare Centre-Toronto Central Community Care Access Centre (CCAC)-Toronto Grace Health Centre Research Ethics Board (JREB) exists to ensure that all research involving human subjects conducted under the auspices of Bridgepoint Health, West Park Healthcare Centre and the Toronto Central CCAC meet the highest scientific and ethical standards.
Ethics are principles of right conduct guiding “what ought to be done”. In the context of the Tri-Council Policy Statement and Guidelines on Research Involving Human Subjects, the JREB subscribes to the following ethical principles that are commonly held and valued by diverse research disciplines:
- Respect for human dignity
- Respect for free and informed consent
- Respect for vulnerable persons
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Respect for justice and inclusiveness
- Balancing harms and benefits